About Coalfield Development and Rediscover Appalachia
Coalfield Development is a not-for-profit organization working actively to rebuild the Appalachian economy to be more socially, environmentally, and economically sustainable. The organization’s mission focuses on supporting a family of social enterprises (businesses with heart) to inspire Appalachians with the courage to grow, the creativity to transform perceived liabilities into assets, and the community needed to cultivate real opportunity in Appalachia through mentorship, education, and employment.
To achieve this vision, Coalfield employs young adults and laid-off coal miners in diversified businesses, boosting employment across the region and developing new sectors of economic growth. These business enterprises include construction, agriculture, woodworking, solar installation, real estate management, and environmental remediation.
Crew members within these enterprises work on the job site for 33 hours a week, attend community college for 6 hours a week, and spend 3 hours each week engaged in personal development activities. This 33-6-3 model enables crew members to gain vital on-the-job training while earning a livable wage and completing an Associate’s Degree.
Coalfield places a heavy emphasis on the values of Gumption, Grit, and Grace. By gumption, we mean commitment: to work, to self, to each other, to our communities. Life is often difficult and challenging, yet with gumption, we can overcome the hurdles in our lives and succeed where others might have quit. Grit refers to our dogged pursuit of solutions to problems, our commitment to seeing a job through and finding joy in our work (and play!) while we learn and grow. Our emphasis on grace recognizes that we all make mistakes and that by practicing grace with ourselves and others, we create the space to fully trust and build strong relationships with our colleagues, value each other’s unique strengths, listen to our friends and mentors (especially those with whom we differ), and thus continually improve ourselves.
Rediscover Appalachia is an enterprise of Coalfield Development that focuses on arts and culture based entrepreneurship and creative placemaking. We are working to build spaces and opportunities for creative collaboration, enhanced market participation for artists and craftspeople, increased tourism driven by arts and culture, and better community access to arts education and events. Some of our current projects include two woodshops and a print shop, where our crew members are learning woodworking and printing skills along with more general business skills; a coffee shop and cafe that offers creative, healthier menu options and a variety of programs focused on arts, culture, and wellness; and an old factory building that we are transforming into an arts and culture hub.
About This Position
Rediscover Appalachia is accepting applications for the position of Office Manager. This full-time position will be based in Huntington, with occasional travel throughout Southern West Virginia. The Office Manager will handle the day-to-day financial and administrative tasks that make our organization function smoothly. This individual will help further our mission in many important ways, including but not limited to: handling funding, customer, and community relationships responsibly; paying vendors on time; keeping accurate, organized records; making sure our sites have necessary supplies; and working with our leadership team to be sure regulatory and other requirements are met.
The successful candidate must be an intrinsically motivated, highly efficient worker and learner who can: identify priorities and timelines; see critical tasks through to completion; solve problems in a manner that is consistent with organizational goals and values; and shift gears between working independently and collaborating effectively as part of a team composed of diverse personalities and areas of expertise.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist with AP/AR, issuing checks, and depositing/tracking payments
- Help develop and maintain tracking systems for grant expenses and financial reporting
- Assist in budgeting, creating spending plans, and monitoring cashflow
- Compile financial reports and evaluation metrics
- Assist in collecting and processing receipts
- Assist with procurement and purchasing
- Process onboarding paperwork for new staff
- Circulate recruiting materials for our program
- Assist in updating our branded materials and website
- Help keep licenses, insurance, tax concerns, and certifications current
- Handle general office duties, such as taking phone messages, screening email, scheduling meetings, and ordering supplies
- Retrieve and sort incoming mail
- Oversee the cleaning of the office
- All other related duties assigned by Rediscover Appalachia’s President
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Experience in office management, accounting, and administration
- Proficiency with Quickbooks, Word, Excel, Google Drive, and smart phones, along with a willingness to learn to use point-of-sale and inventory/workflow systems
- College degree in a relevant field such as accounting
- Experience in sales and customer service
Salary & Benefits
- $25,000 – $40,000 depending on qualifications and experience
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Professional and personal development opportunities
To apply, email your application letter, resume, and list of three professional references in a single PDF to: email@example.com. Please put “Application for Rediscover Appalachia Office Manager” and your name in the email subject line. No phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Rediscover Appalachia and Coalfield Development provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.