About Coalfield Development and Rediscover Appalachia
Coalfield Development is a not-for-profit organization working actively to rebuild the Appalachian economy to be more socially, environmentally, and economically sustainable. The organization’s mission focuses on supporting a family of social enterprises (businesses with heart) to inspire Appalachians with the courage to grow, the creativity to transform perceived liabilities into assets, and the community needed to cultivate real opportunity in Appalachia through mentorship, education, and employment.
To achieve this vision, Coalfield employs young adults and laid-off coal miners in diversified businesses, boosting employment across the region and developing new sectors of economic growth. These business enterprises include construction, agriculture, woodworking, solar installation, real estate management, and environmental remediation.
Crew members within these enterprises work on the job site for 33 hours a week, attend community college for 6 hours a week, and spend 3 hours each week engaged in personal development activities. This 33-6-3 model enables crew members to gain vital on-the-job training while earning a livable wage and completing an Associate’s Degree.
Coalfield places a heavy emphasis on the values of Gumption, Grit, and Grace. By gumption, we mean commitment: to work, to self, to each other, to our communities. Life is often difficult and challenging, yet with gumption, we can overcome the hurdles in our lives and succeed where others might have quit. Grit refers to our dogged pursuit of solutions to problems, our commitment to seeing a job through and finding joy in our work (and play!) while we learn and grow. Our emphasis on grace recognizes that we all make mistakes and that by practicing grace with ourselves and others, we create the space to fully trust and build strong relationships with our colleagues, value each other’s unique strengths, listen to our friends and mentors (especially those with whom we differ), and thus continually improve ourselves.
Rediscover Appalachia is an enterprise of Coalfield Development that focuses on arts and culture based entrepreneurship and creative placemaking. We are working to build spaces and opportunities for creative collaboration, enhanced market participation for artists and craftspeople, increased tourism driven by arts and culture, and better community access to arts education and events. Some of our current projects include two woodshops and a print shop, where our crew members are learning woodworking and printing skills along with more general business skills; a coffee shop and cafe that offers creative, healthier menu options and a variety of programs focused on arts, culture, and wellness; and an old factory building that we are transforming into an arts and culture hub.
About This Position
Rediscover Appalachia is currently accepting applications for the position of Crew Chief. This full-time position will be based in Huntington, WV. Occasional travel throughout Southern WV will required, and some initial training in Morgantown, WV may also be necessary.
The Crew Chief will be responsible for training and managing print shop crew members; planning and evaluating activities needed to accomplish goals effectively and efficiently; overseeing the entire process from blank goods through order shipment to ensure high quality standards and smooth production flow. Because our print shop is committed to Coalfield Development’s 33-6-3 model of workforce development, the Crew Chief will need to provide patient guidance, support, and accountability to crew members as they learn new job skills, attend community college part-time, and complete personal development activities.
The successful candidate must be an intrinsically motivated, highly efficient worker and learner who can: identify priorities and timelines; see critical tasks through to completion; solve problems in a manner consistent with organizational goals and values; and collaborate effectively as part of a team composed of varied personalities and areas of expertise.
Essential Job Function
- Maintain staff by aiding in orienting and training employees
- Maintain a safe, secure, and legal work environment while developing and leading personal growth opportunities
- Accomplish staff results by communicating job expectations and constructive performance feedback
- Plan, monitor, and appraise job results
- Develop, coordinate, and enforce systems, policies, procedures, and productivity
- All other related duties assigned by Rediscover’s leadership team
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Professional and technical knowledge of textile printing
- Experience in order fulfillment, screen-printing, and/or direct to garment printing
- Commitment to economic and workforce development and patience with personal development challenges
- Experience with Ecommerce sites such as WooCommerce, WordPress, and Magento
- Graphic design software experience, preferably Adobe Suite
- Experience with shipping programs like UPS Worldship and Ship Station
- Advanced Microsoft Excel experience – find/sort/replace functions, array functions, pivot tables, .CSV importing/exporting, and macros
- Experience in sales and customer service
Salary & Benefits
- $35,000 – $50,000, depending on qualifications and experience
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Professional and personal development opportunities
To apply, email your application letter, resume, and list of three professional references in a single PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Application for Print Shop Crew Chief” and your name in the email subject line. No phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Rediscover Appalachia and Coalfield Development provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.